Kathryn studied English at Balliol, Oxford before undertaking her legal studies and qualifying into the financial services and legal services team at O’Connors.
She advises SMEs, large corporates and professional firms on their legal and regulatory obligations when offering financial and/or legal services, with a particular focus on insurance distribution. Since qualification in 2011, Kathryn has developed expertise in transactional insurance, SRA and FCA regulation, litigation funding, offshore insurance arrangements and appointed representative agreements. Kathryn is now a valued consultant to O’Connors.
Her recent work includes advising on:
- Regulatory considerations prevalent in the sale of a broking house and law firm to a large French insurance intermediary.
- The extent of FCA authorisation required for an in-group business and asset transfer.
- Regulated mortgage contract and consumer credit activity for a B2B lender looking to expand its commercial offering.
- Consumer Duty and SYSC obligations of a consumer credit provider in connection with a litigation funding product.
- The extent of claims management activity being undertaken by a law firm specialising in personal injury and housing disrepair claims and the regulatory obligations they will need to address as a consequence.
- An introducer appointed representative agreement which a household retailer wished to enter into with a view to engaging in insurance distribution activities.
- The extent of FCA authorisation required for the directors of an SMCR firm involved in claims management activity.
- Commercial and insurance issues in connection with a Guernsey-based offshore insurance company.
- The contents of indemnity clauses contained in TOBAs which an insurance distribution platform provider has in place with several large insurers.
- The options available to a law firm with regard to insurance cover once it becomes a successor practice.
Outside of work, Kathryn enjoys family walks and spending time with friends (and can mostly be found negotiating with her four lively young children!)
Contact Kathryn Howard
Office 0207 868 1920
Mobile 07918 989 395