Helping financial services businesses make the right strategic and technical judgment calls
We have one of the country’s most experienced teams of advisers to the financial services sector providing corporate, commercial, insurance and regulatory advice to financial advisers, insurance brokers and investment fund sponsors.
We offer financial advisers access to a comprehensive package of legal support to help them take advantage of new market opportunities and provide best advice to their clients, including advice on:
- Financial services regulation (with the benefit of legal privilege)
- Commercial agreements including client service agreements, introducer and appointed representative agreements
- Financial promotions, including offshore product promotions in the UK
- Shareholder agreements, business re-structures and share options
- Structuring and establishing investment funds
- Responses to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)
- Business structuring, mergers, acquisitions, disposals and joint ventures
We blend insurance, regulatory, corporate and commercial knowledge to provide a comprehensive package of legal support for insurance brokers and their clients – like having an in-house general counsel. This is designed to help insurance brokers retain and grow customer relationships, win new appointments and compete with other major industry players. Advice is delivered by highly experienced lawyers with a strong understanding of the insurance sector and includes:
- Drafting and reviewing insurance-related contracts including introducer agreements, appointed representative agreements, delegated authority agreements, TOBAs and service agreements.
- Financial services regulatory advice.
- Advice on mergers, acquisitions, disposals and other commercial ventures.
- Advice for insurance brokers’ clients on insurance and liability provisions in commercial contracts they are entering into.
- Assisting insurance brokers and their clients in positioning disputes insurance claims.
- Advice on clients’ legal questions, given that the courts hold insurance brokers liable for any incorrect legal advice they may give (however well-intentioned).
- Advice on the scope of insurance brokers’ duty of care to clients for risk management purposes.
- Support on new product development.
- Independent and domicile-neutral captive insurance advice including captive feasibility studies.
- Assisting with responses to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
Our team has a national reputation as legal advisers to those setting up or operating investment funds – regulated and unregulated, onshore and offshore, privately and publicly funded. In particular, we have significant expertise and experience in dealing with UK and European Governments in connection with publicly supported funds, including the application of State Aid.
As many funds are established offshore, we work closely with advisers in key offshore jurisdictions to deliver a seamless, quality service to our clients. We are also able to introduce clients to organisations authorised to manage the day to day operation of collective investment schemes.
Our work covers private equity funds, regional investment funds and third party litigation funders.